Job Summary – The Consultant, Health Financing will serve on the USAID-funded Propel Health project and other global health projects as assigned. The selected candidate will be responsible for leading a select portfolio of health financing activities, including setting strategic direction, work planning, budgeting, staffing, reporting, and client management. The selected candidate will provide senior level content knowledge, technical leadership, consultation and support for the development and execution of quantitative and qualitative health financing analyses, research, policy development, and advocacy to advance sustainable financing for health in selected countries, including Francophone countries. Areas of work may include quantitative assessment and modeling, cost-effectiveness studies, unit costing, health budget and expenditure surveys, domestic resource mobilization assessments, innovative financing assessments, private sector engagement strategy development, public financial management reform, and feasibility or policy analyses of proposals for scaling up community-based and social/universal health insurance programs. The Consultant, Health Financing will provide high-level technical assistance to policymakers, including in Francophone countries, and write reports, and policy and technical briefs to inform relevant audiences under Propel Health and other global projects as assigned. The selected candidate will be expected to exercise judgement within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. The candidate will be required to determine the appropriate analytical methods and processes to carry out activities and lead in both directly implementing activities and managing junior staff or consultants in carrying them out.
The consultant reports to the Senior Technical Director, Health Financing or the Portfolio Director for the Health Policy, Financing and Governance Portfolio.
As Consultant, Health Financing:
- Ensures the technical excellence of all aspects of finance, economics, econometrics and modeling across all the technical domains of the candidate’s selected portfolio of countries and activities
- Has overall responsibility for design and implementation of health financing aspects of the candidate’s selected portfolio of countries and activities, including costing, modeling and research
- Functional oversight of the technical leads and activity managers for the candidate’s selected portfolio of countries and activities
- Provides remote and on-the-ground managerial and operational oversight to specific activites for core and field programs
- Provides analytical and evaluative techniques to identify, consider, and resolve issues or problems related to health financing, costing, and economic evaluation of health policies.
- Uses various quantitative and qualitative techniques to help design and perform costing, financing, and policy analysis tasks, in coordination with relevant technical leads and activity managers
- Responsible for the development of activity-specific work plans and budgets.
- Participates in and/or prepares necessary technical and program-related reports, including presentations, peer-reviewed publications presenting innovation on health policy, and white papers.
- Guides and supports research, data collection, policy formulation, training and capacity building efforts in support of project activities and deliverables.
- Ensures quality of services and compliance per project/program requirements.
- May provide functional guidance to outside vendors to ensure deliverables are met within timelines and budgets.
- Organizes as needed project/program trainings, conferences, workshops, and meetings.
- Participates, and represents the organization as needed, in outside associations, conferences, and symposia.
- Contribute to analysis for and write-up of health financing briefs for various projects and business development activities
- Contribute to analysis for and write-up of health financing products for Propel Health, business development and other related projects.
- Provide regular updates to activity managers and country teams
Experience and Skills Required:
- PhD in Economics, Health Economics or related fields, or MSc with at least 3 years experience in Economics, Health Economics or related fields, required
- At least 10 years’ experience living and working in countries with USAID-funded global health technical assistance projects.
- Experience developing and implementing activities in support of universal health coverage objectives and social protection, required.
- Strong quantitative skills, including data analysis and statistical interpretation. Experience with statistical software such as Stata, and high level of proficiency with Excel, required.
- Experience with government engagement and policy advocacy, required. Experience being seconded to government agency or Ministry in a USAID presence country highly desired.
- Past work experience managing USAID- or other donor-funded projects, required. Past work experience with USAID or other donor is desired.
- Ability to present complex information to diverse audiences, including policymakers. Clear and effective writing and oral communication skills, including significant experience with report development and delivering oral presentations supported by PowerPoint slides.
- Strong interpersonal, writing, presentation, and organizational skills are required.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytic, financial, and evaluative skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a required timeframe. Ability to respond and adapt quickly to changing requirements and competing demands. Ability to take initiative and/or respond independently to situations.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Intermediate or professionally proficient French is required.
- Fluency/proficiency in additional languages will be considered favorably.
- Must be able to travel internationally up to 30%.
- Experience living and working on universal health coverage and social protection in countries receiving USAID funding and TA
- Experience serving in a secondment with a government agency
- Experience providing technical assistance to governments in establishing and/or strengthening financial protection schemes
- Experience in working closely with USAID, country governments, and other global partners
- Strong quantitative analysis skills using Spectrum/Optima, Stata and Excel
- Demonstrated expertise in supporting stakeholders to understand and use complex data, including finance data, in decision-making
- Intermediate level professional proficiency in the French language and fluent English.
- Graduate level degree in health economics or economics
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team and we will be in touch to discuss.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
This job is posted by The Palladium Group.
This link brings you to the website of The Palladium Group.
Please mention that you found the role via EuropeanHealthEconomics.com. Thank you and good luck!