Rahway, NJ / Boston, MA, US.
Other locations: London, UK; West Point, PA, US.
We have an exciting new opportunity for an Associate Principal Scientist | Health Economics and Decision Sciences (HEDS) to join our HEDS Oncology team. The preferred location is Rahway, NJ; alternative locations in USA (Boston, MA, or West Point, PA), UK (London) and Switzerland (Zurich) are possible.
Under the direction of a HEDS Director or Senior Director, the Associate Principal Scientist provides health economic insights to inform the strategic development of our medicines and vaccines, including generation of new evidence. Our insights, including modeling deliverables, aim to enhance our understanding of disease, identify risks and opportunities for our products, and quantify and communicate the value of our oncology products to patients, providers, and payers.
- Work Independently and as a Team member with Integrity | Precision | Accomplishment | Motivational Ambition | Respect | Inclusion
- Serve as the HEDS lead for one or more value evidence teams to develop health economic, disease, and predictive models to enable business insights for the product.
- Utilize discovery, real world evidence, clinical trial and published data, and publicly available information and tools to provide economic and integrated models to answer key questions in all phases of drug and vaccine development – Phase I through loss of data exclusivity.
- Advance the use of integrated quantitative approaches, focusing on economic, disease, and predictive modeling and simulation in partnership with other internal groups and external organizations.
- Develop and maintain high quality global health economic models and tools that demonstrate the value of our products. This may be in collaboration with external vendors, or in-house using spreadsheet, statistical or proprietary software as appropriate.
- Support and training of HEDS models and tools to support country/regional team adaptations and communications with external stakeholders.
- Disseminate health economic data via presentations at congresses and publications in scientific journals.
- Work closely with external collaborators (clinical/economic thought leaders, payer/HTA experts, alliance partners) and internal teams to ensure that new methodologies, models and advanced analytics are fully utilized for our products.
- Maintain awareness of external data, modeling methodologies and IT tools to collaborate across relevant internal stakeholders to enhance our company’s capabilities in health economic modeling, simulation, and data visualization.
- Partner in defining and implementing the HEDS vision and strategy to be an innovative, world class Center of Excellence.
- Ensure sharing of work product and relevant best practices across the company’s enterprise.
- PhD (preferred) or Masters degree, in Health Economics, Biostatistics, Health Services Research, Actuarial Sciences or a closely related, quantitative field
Required Experience and Skills:
- Relevant experience in health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) of 3 or more years beyond PhD (or 5 or more years beyond Masters degree)
- Knowledge and experience in economic evaluation of oncology drugs and interventions
- Expertise and solid hands-on experience in the conceptualization, design, development and dissemination of health economic model approaches to enable internal and external decisions
- Track record of submissions to Health Technology Assessment bodies and research publications in conferences and peer-reviewed journals
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills with ability to interact with individuals from a variety of disciplines
- Understanding of the market access environment and challenges in the US and key international markets
In BARDS (Biostatistics and Research Decision Sciences), a distinguished department within our company’s renowned Research and Development division, quantitative scientists, in partnership with other subject matter experts, apply state-of-the art scientific methodologies and tools to enable the discovery, development, regulatory approval, manufacturing, and marketing of medical drugs and vaccines for the benefit of patients and global human health. Within BARDS, the Health Economics and Decision Sciences (HEDS) group provides strategic and technical leadership in providing health economic insights and deliverables that measure and quantify the value of our products, shape methodology and external health policy, inform our value evidence and pricing strategies, and inform external decisions regarding patient access.
Notice For Internal Applicants
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separationpackage, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively.
U.S. Hybrid Work Model
Effective September 5, 2023, employees in office-based positions in the U.S. will be working a Hybrid work consisting of three total days on-site per week, generally Tuesday, Wednesday and either Monday or Thursday, although the specific days may vary by site or organization, with Friday designated as a remote-working day, unless business critical tasks require an on-site presence. This Hybrid work model does not apply to, and daily in-person attendance is required for, field-based positions; facility-based, manufacturing-based, or research-based positions where the work to be performed is located at a Company site; positions covered by a collective-bargaining agreement (unless the agreement provides for hybrid work); or any other position for which the Company has determined the job requirements cannot be reasonably met working remotely. Please note, this Hybrid work model guidance also does not apply to roles that have been designated as “remote”.
Under New York State, Colorado State, Washington State, and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate’s relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:
Available benefits include bonus eligibility, health care and other insurance benefits (for employee and family), retirement benefits, paid holidays, vacation, and sick days. For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
This job ad will be unpublished on 24/02/2024.
This job is posted by MSD.
This link brings you to the website of MSD.
Please mention that you found the role via EuropeanHealthEconomics.com. Thank you and good luck!