London or Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK; or Westport, Ireland.
Type: Permanent, office-based.
Salary: On application, and commensurate with experience, thus one of two career levels, either the Head of Statistics or Principal Statistician.
The Head of Statistics position at PHMR offers an exciting opportunity to lead a highly qualified team of statisticians in developing and delivering statistical solutions that support our clients in demonstrating the value of their products. The successful candidate will work alongside our senior scientists-consultants with expertise in health technology assessment, economic modelling, patient reported outcomes, real world evidence and systematic reviews to ensure PHMR employ best practices in the delivery of statistical aspects of these projects. The position also offers the opportunity to manage an independent statistics workstream focused on developing and applying novel methods to address the many challenges faced in generating robust clinical and economic evidence to support decision making.
The ideal candidate will have proven project and people leadership skills and extensive experience in developing and delivering creative statistical solutions in the area of health economic and outcomes research (HEOR) and health technology assessment (HTA).
- Leadership and line management of PHMR statistics team;
- Lead methodological work on novel statistical approaches for HEOR/HTA
- Coordinate statistical input into wider PHMR project portfolio
- Lead the development of analysis plans, reports and presentations;
- Draft abstracts and manuscripts as lead or co-author;
- Coordinate business development activities, including proposal development
- Oversee quality assurance of statistical analyses and technical reports;
- Internal and external day-to-day management of projects;
- Contribute to improving operational efficiencies of workflows, including writing of SOPs and quality management documents
- Input into decisions regarding the strategic direction of the organisation
Requirements / performance dimensions:
Functional technical expertise Essential
- 5+ years of experience in the application of statistics to support HEOR/HTA activities
- Higher degree with a large statistical component (MMath/MSc/PhD)
- Extensive experience with statistical programming packages
- Expertise in Health Technology Assessment agency processes and guidelines for statistical methods
- Extensive experience in applying standard approaches for quantitative evidence synthesis and familiarity with emerging novel/advanced approaches
- Creative, solution-oriented approach to problem solving
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Capability to learn, adapt and apply available and new systems and tools to improve the quality of processes and output;
- Demonstrated ability to foster collaboration among multidisciplinary teams by applying communication and interpersonal skills;
- A can-do approach to all tasks and commitment to delivering timely high-quality results;
- Fluency in English (for writing papers, reports, proposals, giving presentations and mentoring junior staff);
- Excellent MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel skills.
Desirable for the Principal Statistician role/Essential for the Head of Statistics role
- Experience in analyses to support the development of health economic models including approaches for the extrapolation of time to event data
- Experience in line management and/or leading a team
- Strong working relationships with an existing network of clients
Alignment to PHMR values
Integrity: we do the right thing
Quality focus: we continually pursue excellence
Ambitious: we are tenacious and sustainable
Collegiate: we support and learn from each other
Fun: we enjoy our work
Great to work with
▪ Flexibility and individual support for more balanced and enjoyable life;
▪ Fantastic opportunities for professional development, working along industry experts;
▪ Tight-knit, collegiate office environment.
Established in 2007, we are a rapidly growing and energetic consultancy – a diverse group of professional scientists, health economists and industry specialists with a proven track record in providing global market access solutions to some of the biggest healthcare industries so that patients get access to medicines. Patients get access to medicines as a result of our work. Our science is internationally renowned, and we are proud of our work.
▪ We apply robust scientific approaches and methodologies. Quality science comes first.
▪ We combine the expertise of our team together with a worldwide professional network.
▪ We continuously learn and improve.
▪ 90% of our projects are repeat or referral from our existing customers.
▪ The majority of our team are educated to PhD level.
▪ We embrace diversity in all its forms.
We also love being part of an engaging, supportive team that combines having fun with striving for high quality science. Our leadership team is always approachable, and we find it easy to work with each other. The variety of our work is both challenging and exciting and helps us achieve our research and career ambitions. PHMR provides flexibility and individual support in order to help make our lives more balanced and enjoyable. We love being part of PHMR.
Candidates wishing to discuss the position, please call +44 (0) 203 695 5807 for an informal chat with Dr Cormac Sammon (Chief Medical Officer/Senior Epidemiologist). No agencies please.
All candidates are eligible to apply for our roles and will be considered on suitability and merit throughout the recruitment process. However, at the time of starting their employment the successful candidate must have permission to work either in the Republic of Ireland or the United Kingdom depending on the location.
Apply for this role