Under the leadership of the Strategy and PMO Lead in Health Financing Department (HFD), and with support and guidance from the HFD Management Team, a Strategy Associate manages strategic projects on behalf of HFD; these may include projects internal to HFD but more often will be about HFD leading wider strategic change within the Secretariat, or representing HFD in strategic change processes led from elsewhere within the Secretariat. They are all targeted at delivering the strategic shift on Health Financing set out in the Global Fund’s new 2023-28 Strategy, one of just ten major strategic change priorities in the next strategy cycle. Associates will need to be equipped to manage projects, provide strategic advice, support strategic decision-making (eg through research and analysis, or red-teaming the thinking of others), enhance collaboration to ensure that diverse groups arrive at optimal decisions, or coordinate multiple complex workstreams.
The Strategy Associate will implement best practice project and change management to support and drive effective implementation. This means diagnosing performance and mapping processes, prioritising improvement opportunities and planning change, building recommendations, developing detailed and achievable action plans, and accelerate their implementation, working through others with a particular focus on how to bring about change in processes that they do not directly control. They will need to facilitate buy-in from diverse stakeholders at different levels and set mechanisms in place to deliver sustainable transformation and on-the-ground results.
Over the course of one year, the Associate can expect to take end-to-end ownership of 2-3 projects within HFD and to support more with project management, advice, research and analysis or challenge. They will be expected to identify, capture and share, and then leverage best practice from the experience of HFD and elsewhere within the GF.
They will be expected to strive for constant impact orientation, pragmatic problem-solving, appropriate mobilization of resources in their surroundings, sustainable delivery of change, inspirational leadership, appreciation of the complex objectives of the Global Fund, deliberate personal development, and support and respect for the values and culture that drive the Global Fund and the deep expertise of its staff and partners.
Strategic advisory for performance:
- Work with the Strategy & PMO Lead and management team of the Health Financing Department to successfully define, structure and implement key transformational and continuous improvement initiatives across HFD and the Secretariat.
- Help develop and refine ambitious yet realistic recommendations and implementable action plans, with key owners.
- Synthesize disparate findings to generate fact-based insights.
- Bring insights from previous leadership of strategic change diagnosis and implementation processes to bear on the challenges of establishing a newly prioritised agenda and enhanced department within a large, complex organisation.
- Interact with strategic process owners and HFD to manage interdependencies and effectively address implementation challenges, with a strong focus on delivering change.
- Develop hypothesis-driven perspectives to identify and diagnose issues, execute analysis, and translate data into meaningful insights.
- Ensure effective organisational monitoring is in place to drive organisational performance, ensuring a strong link between initiative implementation and effective performance realization.
Project, Performance and Change Management:
- Ensure effective operationalization of project and change management principles to support robust initiative design, initiation, implementation and wrap-up with a focus on stakeholder management, results orientation, sustainable delivery, and knowledge sharing approaches.
- Reinforce project and change management capabilities, to successfully implement critical initiatives’ components.
- Monitor performance through best-in-class risk management and quality control standards.
- Ensure development of critical capabilities within teams, specifically those pertaining to value orientation, process, and project management.
- Conduct coaching, best practice sharing, and role modelling to ensure team capabilities are in place to complete implementation of initiatives.
- Proven ability to challenge senior and less senior stakeholders alike in a respectful and dignified way.
Coordination, stakeholder management and collaboration:
- Build trustful collaboration relationships with teams and senior management at various levels across the Secretariat.
- Bring cross-functional perspective, and foster collaboration within the organization, where necessary to accelerate impact delivery.
- Ensure robust information sharing, and thorough understanding of the delivery path across key stakeholders, to enable coordinated initiative implementation and performance delivery.
- Facilitate problem-solving and decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver objectives through others.
- Be actively involved in key project activities, such as business case development and articulation of requirements for operationalization.
- Design and manage capability building and best practice sharing, specifically those pertaining to value orientation, process, and project management, in order to maximize learning, efficiency and value-for-money across the organization.
- Seek feedback from project teams, end-users and external stakeholders to share ideas and best practices and continuously improve delivery process and buy-in.
- Enhance project management approach based on lessons learned and feedback gathered and ensure continuous improvement.
- Contribute to the development of a consolidated progress update, allowing tracking and steering of deliverables and budgets, management of delivery risks, proactive monitoring of issues for resolution and potential escalation and timely decision making.
- Prepare materials for presentation to senior leaders within the organization, including the Management Executive Committee and individual Department Heads.
- Advanced University degree (Master’s level or above, or the equivalent) in a relevant field (to include but not limited to Business Administration, International Development, Public Policy, Financial Management, Global Health, or Economics).
- Business process improvement or organizational change experience and/or qualifications.
- At least 5 years top tier Strategy Consulting experience, including experience in transformations, organizational effectiveness, strategy and/or performance improvement.
- Significant relevant, post-university work experience in strategy definition and strategy implementation, performance measurement and management, and project management.
- Project management and demonstrated change management expertise with the ability to deliver impactful changes with minimal disruption to an organization.
- Demonstrated experience managing and delivering on timelines with tight deadlines and across disciplines.
- Evidence of effective and successful stakeholder management at operational and management levels within an organization.
- Experience serving in an advisory capacity with Executive leaders and being accountable to them for stretching deliverables.
- Significant experience preparing high-quality, professional documents for senior audiences.
- Experience within multi-cultural and international environments and organizations.
- Experience living and/or working in a country supported by the Global Fund.
- History of holding positions of incremental responsibility since university studies.
- Working knowledge & understanding of project management principles and application in multicultural settings including International Public/Private Organizations.
- Prior experience of the Global Fund and its processes.
- Prior experience of health finance, external development finance for health or health systems.
An excellent knowledge of English and preferably a good working knowledge of French. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
- Global Fund awareness
- Service orientation
- Drive for results
- Geopolitical Awareness
- Human Resources
- Multicultural understanding
- Operational Policy
- Project Management
The Global Fund recruits top-tier talent for our open positions, in support of our mission to end AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria as epidemics.
This job is posted by Global Fund.
This link brings you to the website of Global Fund.
When you apply, please mention that you found the role via EuropeanHealthEconomics.com. Thank you and good luck!