The Senior Specialist, Health Finance plays a key role in providing and managing high-quality technical support to Global Fund country teams and countries, as a principal management stakeholder of the Portfolio Support and STC Team of the Health Finance Department. Working closely with Health Finance Specialists, Associate Specialists, and other stakeholders in the Health Finance Department, the Senior Specialist, Health Finance coordinates and manages technical support and advice to specific Global Fund country teams countries, and other Secretariat departments / teams in order to strengthen domestic financing, sustainability, and value for money of Global Fund supported programs. The Senior Specialist, Health Finance plays a primary role in the implementation of the health financing, value for money (VfM), and sustainability, transition, co-financing (STC) aspects of the 2017-2022 Global Fund strategy as well as the Global Fund’s co-financing approaches (including supporting country teams to develop, negotiate, track and monitor co-financing and domestic commitments), and serves as the primary focal point within the Health Finance Department for specific Grant Management regional teams.
. Manages Specialists, Health Finance and Associate Specialists, Health Finance (where applicable) serving specific geographic regions and provides high quality managerial guidance, support, and direction to relevant Specialists, Health Finance specialists, Associate Specialists, Health Finance and any other direct reports.
• As the lead Health Finance stakeholder for a specific regional portfolio, develops, sets and implements regional priorities for technical support for country teams in
collaboration with the Grant Management Division (including Regional Managers, Department Heads, FPMs, and Country Teams).
• Where relevant, collaborates closely with GMD stakeholders supporting overall efforts on sustainability and transition, including ST specialists and relevant GMD focal points
• Serves as the primary and principal Health Finance focal point for specific Global Fund regional teams, including coordinating with other Health Finance stakeholders on- behalf of regional teams, linking regional teams to resources available within the Health Finance Department, and strengthening linkages with other teams working on comparable thematic areas (ie, CRG, RSSH, TAP, Finance, etc).
•Oversees provision of high-quality technical support and advice to regional and country teams, including on specific Health Finance, VfM,and STC technical areas relevant for the individual region (ie, health economics; sustainability & transition; costing / efficiency analysis -HTA; Performance Based Financing (PBF) incl. Payment for Results, Results Based Financing, Disbursement Linked Indicators, Cash on Delivery); social contracting; health taxes; intervention verification; insurance schemes incl. risk pooling & user fees; debt swaps; resource tracking; fiscal decentralization, etc). Collaborates closely with Strategic Advice and PMO Team, Strategic Partnership & Blended Finance team, and Advocacy Team of the Health Finance Department and with specific focal points from other SIID technical teams to provide high quality and streamlined support for
Global Fund country teams and countries
• Oversees co-financing processes and serves as the lead Health Finance stakeholder providing support for the development of Global Fund grants in a specific regional portfolio, including supporting country dialogue, review of Funding Requests, grant-making, grant-approval processes and other aspects of Global Fund grants linked to Health Finance, STC, and Value for Money.
• Represents Health Finance Department in internal reviews of health financing / STC aspects of country portfolios, including supporting TRP reviews, PPCs, pre-GACs, country audits, thematic audits, TERG reviews, etc.
• Manages data validation and oversight of Health Finance data for specific region of the Global Fund portfolio, in collaboration with Strategic Advice and PMO Team and as part of ongoing Health Finance investment case development, strategy targets, KPI reporting, replenishment efforts, etc.
• Conducts analysis and evidence generation on Health Finance, Value for Money, and STC themes for country teams / regional teams for specific regional portfolio,
leveraging Health Finance data and other information to support ongoing regional efforts and strategies
• In collaboration with other Health Finance Department stakeholders, supports the development of normative guidance, tools, metrics, and indicators to support
implementation of co-financing approaches and the Sustainability, Transition, and Co-Financing (STC) policy
• Serves as the primary Health Finance focal point for at least one technical area identified as a priority by the Health Finance Department (to be determined based on specific competencies)
• Proactively manages and works to mitigate Health Finance related risks for specific regional portfolio by working closely with Risk Specialist in the Health Finance
Department, Grant Management, and other relevant stakeholders
• As relevant, undertakes and supports capacity building of Grant Management Staff and/or other stakeholders to strengthen how the Global Fund leverages investments, monitors co-financing commitments, and uses health and disease spending information to appropriately contextualize grant implementation and support strategic investment
• Utilizes in-depth professional knowledge and experience to advocate and collaborate with Grant Management Division and key partners to institutionalize effective and efficient mechanisms to support strengthened sustainability, domestic financing, Value for Money, and / or other relevant themes at the country level.
• As needed, represents the Global Fund in Health Finance, STC and or other related external engagements (relevant to the specific regional portfolio and/or as needed)
• Supports the effective implementation of relevant Strategic Initiatives (including the STE-SI and IF SI) and partner-financed technical assistance for the specific regional portfolio, including review / development / oversight of TORs and deliverables for relevant technical assistance assignments, ensuring technical assistance is in line and supportive of specific regional or country level strategic approach.
• Supports the effective implementation of joint financing priorities (as relevant) for the specific regional portfolio, including providing technical support to leverage concessional finance to advance HIV, TB, and Malaria priorities
• Supports the effective implementation of advocacy priorities (as relevant) for the specific regional portfolio, to strengthen domestic financing of health and the three diseases
in strong collaboration with the Strategic Partnerships team of the Health Finance Department.
• Supports development of sustainability plans and other Health Finance, STC, or VfM initiatives relevant to the regional portfolio, as applicable / relevant
Supports other regional priorities as jointly identified with Grant Management Regional Teams and the Deputy, Head Health Finance and Senior Manager STC and Portfolio Support.
• Perform people management responsibilities
Subject to change by the Executive Director at any time at their sole discretion.
• Advanced University Degree in economics, public health, management, development studies, or a relevant field
• Specialization in public health, health economics, economics, or other related field
• Significant experience in or related to health financing, expenditure tracking, public financing, development of health, health financing reforms, and/or other related themes.
• Demonstrated experience overseeing and supporting implementation of development financing in the global health and/or the development fields
• Demonstrated management experience leading high-performing teams and overseeing high performing, diverse staff working in a complex, fast paced environment
• Demonstrated experience providing high-quality technical support to stakeholders supporting the implementation of development finance initiatives, preferably within the Global Health space.
• Other comparable professional experience
• Proven ability to work with high level diverse stakeholders (including Senior Managers), adapt leadership style & maintain strong coordination / collaboration with internal and external stakeholders in a complex, fast paced environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• 8-10 years of demonstrated experience in or related to health financing, expenditure tracking, public financing, development of health, health financing reforms.
• Leadership, operational experience and technical and methods expertise in two or more of the following (or a comparable thematic area) including but not limited to: health economics; sustainability & transition; costing / efficiency analysis – HTA; Performance Based Financing (PBF) incl. Payment for Results, Results Based Financing, Disbursement Linked Indicators, Cash on Delivery); social contracting; health taxes; intervention verification; insurance schemes incl. risk pooling & user fees; debt swaps; resource tracking; fiscal decentralization, etc
• In country experience supporting the implementation of development financing, preferably within the global health space
• Strong background in provision of technical support, technical assistance to diverse teams
• Specific experience with the management or implementation of Global Fund grants (or comparable development initiatives)
• More than four years of people management experience
An excellent knowledge of English and preferably a good working knowledge of specific language relevant to the prioritized region (including French, Spanish, and/or Russian). Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
• Global Fund awareness and mind-set
• Service orientation
• Drive for results
• Analytical – Expert Level
• Business – Expert Level
• Country Context – Mastery Level
• Global Public Health – Mastery Level
• Strengthening Systems for Health – Mastery Level
The Global Fund recruits top-tier talent for our open positions, in support of our mission to end AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria as epidemics.
This job is posted by Global Fund.
This link brings you to the website of Global Fund.
Please mention that you found the role via EuropeanHealthEconomics.com. Thank you and good luck!