R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Program Director – Health Financing in Indonesia to play a key role in the Global Health Practice contributing research and program management expertise to USAID’s Health Financing Activity.
Indonesia’s national health insurance scheme, Jaminan Kesehatan Nasional (JKN), covers more than 200 million people (>75% of the population). JKN is an important means of providing access to essential health services for the population, but the increasing cost of JKN and ongoing budget deficits jeopardize its sustainability. Deficits need to be managed by stabilizing the growth in health expenditure per member while maintaining access to necessary services and improving quality. The national health insurance agency (BPJS-K) can strengthen JKN’s financial sustainability while also improving quality and service delivery outcomes by adopting more strategic health purchasing approaches. To this end, the Government of Indonesia will implement two strategic health purchasing pilot initiatives to better incentivize providers to provide improved quality care and work towards better value for money in health. One pilot, in Serang district, will focus on maternal and newborn health (MNH) services. The second pilot, in Medan district, will focus on tuberculosis (TB) diagnosis and treatment services. The interventions will test new ways of contracting and paying providers for these services.
Funding for the pilots is provided by two USAID-sponsored projects in Indonesia (the USAID Health Financing Activity1 and the USAID Tuberculosis Private Sector Activity2). The two projects have been supporting the design of these pilots and will oversee their implementation, in close collaboration with the government of Indonesia. R4D is a subcontractor on both of these projects, providing technical leadership on strategic purchasing across all project objectives, and is responsible for preparing the pilot design, facilitating national and district level coordination for pilot implementation, and developing capacity building modules.
1.) USAID’s Health Financing Activity (HFA), led by ThinkWell, will further USAID’s health systems strengthening agenda to support the Government of Indonesia (GOI) to sustain and increase efficiency in health financing to improve financial protection, equitable access to quality health services, and health outcomes in the priority areas of HIV, tuberculosis, and maternal and newborn health.
2.) USAID’s Tuberculosis Private Sector Activity (TBPS), led by FHI360, aims to contribute to Indonesia’s national goals to reduce tuberculosis (TB) prevalence and incidence by increasing the number of private provider clients who receive quality TB services. Specifically, the goal of TBPS is to increase the number of care-seeking clients in the private sector who are correctly diagnosed, notified, and have successfully completed TB treatment.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated individual with demonstrated people and project leadership abilities, experience working on pilot implementation projects, research skills, and strong communication and presentation skills. S/he will have demonstrated effectiveness in a highly collaborative environment, balancing strong leadership with the ability to build-relationships, understand the perspectives of all stakeholders, solve problems, and forge compromises.
- Master’s degree or PhD in relevant field (health economics, public health, medicine, public/social policy, public administration, business/management or similar) plus minimum of 10 years relevant work experience in health finance or health sector programming of similar size and complexity in Indonesia or other relevant South East Asian countries.
- Familiarity with health financing principles and best practices
- Experience working on policy reform and policy implementation processes in Indonesia
- Strong people and project manager, with a track record of designing operations and successfully implementing complex programs with multiple partners and work streams; experience managing pilots a plus
- Strong process facilitation, problem solving, and stakeholder management skills. Highly collaborative engagement style, with demonstrated ability to effectively build relationships and forge compromises. Active listener and facilitator of policy dialogue.
- Familiarity with the Indonesian health system and key actors, including Ministry of Health, BPJS-K, DJSN, and other health sector agencies. Experience working in/with public or private sector health financing organizations desirable.
- Relevant work experience in a global or Indonesian development NGO, consulting firm, and/or development agency
- Eagerness to support and mentor junior staff and peers
- Structured thinker with excellent analytic skills
- Strong writer and oral communicator who can lead the production of highly professional work products
- Ability to effectively set priorities and handle competing time and resource demands for self and others
- Enthusiasm, energy, and composure under pressure
- Fluency in oral and written Bahasa and English
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
Please note, this position will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a local benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
This job is posted by Results for Development.
This link brings you to the website of Results for Development.